It’s that time of the summer where the temperatures are high, humidity is in the air, and heat indexes are well over 100 degrees. During these high temperature, it puts a lot of risk onto construction workers. It is a physically demanding job so hydration and safety is essential. Below are options we like to take and also help out others working out on the field during this time.
OSHA GUIDELINES TO STAY SAFE IN EXTREME HEAT:
- Drink plenty of water
- Do not wait until parches
- Flavored drinks with low sugar are good
- Avoid caffeine, drinks with lots of sugar, and alcohol
- Every company vehicle is to have a case of water for our employees and anyone on the job-site
- Always try to park in shaded areas as best as possible
- Take breaks when needed when working outside
- Water machine in office is always stocked
- Other drink options offered in the kitchen area
- Send weekly reminder to stay to stay hydrated and cool during these hot summer days
- Pre-hydrate in the morning before you leave to work
- Drink the amount that is right for you, usually half your body weight in ounces
- Drink electrolytes
- Keep a water bottle with you throughout the day
- Set an alarm to remind yourself to drink water and take a break to cool down
- Remember to eat
In the end, construction companies must always take dehydration and heat stress seriously. That’s why P&R implements their procedures during these hotter months to make sure our staff and others onsite are saying healthy and hydrated.
Contact us today for any weather-related issues and service needs!